www.torun.pl

City gates and towers

  • The Leaning Tower
    The Leaning Tower is a medieval defensive Tower which owes its name to its considerable tilt. A legend has it that the creation of the tower was connected with an offence of one of the Teutonic Knights from Toruń who, against the monastic rule, fell in love and dated a beautiful daughter of a wealthy merchant.
  • The Bridge Gate
    The well- preserved Bridge Gate was built in 1432 on the site of an earlier structure which had served the same purpose. Initially, it was called the Crossing Gate or Ferry Gate as it stood on the route which led to the Vistula ferry crossing point.
  • The Convent Gate
    The Convent Gate, also called the Holy Spirit Gate, was erected in the 14th century as one of four gates leading into Toruń from the Vistula River port. Despite slight modifications, the gate has been preserved in its original form of a gothic gate tower with three ogival recesses.
  • The Sailors' Gate
    The Sailors' Gate was built in the Middle Ages but its present appearance is a result of a major 19th-century reconstruction. Straddling the street that led to the port quay and St. Johns' parish church and the Old Town market square, the gate was the most important entrance to the city.
  • Citizens Court
    Constructed in XV century. It was probably built from materials brought from the Teutonic Knights Castle, destroyed by townsmen in 1454.
  • In the Podmurna street several granaries and, in number 14/16, an octagonal tower called "monstrance" are preserved. The tower was built in XV century.
  • One of many towers that are preserved to temporary times in the town walls from the Vistula River Side, it is called "Dovecote" and was built in the Middle Ages.
  • The origins of the round tower, called the “Cat’s head”, located in the northern part of the town walls (today it is the end of Podmurna street) go deep into early Middle Ages.