The Council of Seniors of the City of Toruń
The Council of Seniors of the City of Toruń takes actions to integrate the Toruń social circles of the elderly and to strengthen the participation of seniors in the life of the local community in Toruń.
The Council’s catalogue of tasks includes:
- initiating undertakings aimed at the social integration of seniors, the strengthening of their civic activities, and the protection of the rights of persons from the senior age group and respect for their dignity;
- taking actions aimed at making use of the potential and time of seniors for the sake of community initiatives, encompassing culture, sport, leisure, and education;
- preventing the marginalisation of seniors and overcoming the stereotypical perception of their social role;
- cooperation with the authorities of Toruń in expressing opinions and solving significant problems concerning the needs and expectations of persons of senior age, including matters pertaining to the situation of seniors and matters laid before the Council of Seniors by the Mayor of the City of Toruń and the City Council of Toruń;
- submitting remarks and proposing motions pertaining to the bills of local legislation submitted to the Council of Seniors by the Mayor of the City of Toruń and the City Council of Toruń;
- formulating proposals concerning short- and long-term actions for the benefit of persons of senior age, also to be included in the city’s senior-oriented plans and programmes;
- the identification of needs and consultancy for preventive treatment and promotion of the health of persons of senior age, public assistance, social welfare services, and the prevention of social exclusion;
- cooperation with organisations and institutions handling seniors’ problems;
- the popularisation of knowledge about the needs, rights, and possibilities of persons of senior age;
- the dissemination of information about actions taken for the sake of persons of senior age.
The Council of Seniors of 1st term was formed in 2014 by the City Council of Toruń (Council’s Resolution No. 810/2014). Afterwards, subsequent to the public recruitment of members (at least 1/3 of the required composition), the composition of the Council of Seniors was appointed (Council’s Resolution No. 847/2014):
Issues related to the organisational workflow of the Council of Seniors of the City of Toruń are handled by the Department of Health and Social Policy of the City Hall of Toruń, ul. Fałata 39, 87-100 Toruń; email@example.com; phone number: +48 56 611 84 54.