Historical monuments

The Old Town Hall

The Old Town Hall

The Town Hall in Toruń is one of the largest brick buildings of that kind in Europe and the most important historical monument within the Old Town of Toruń. For centuries it served as the administrative and commercial hub of the city. Numerous trade fairs, homage ceremonies, knight tournaments or even public executions took part in the vicinity of this imposing edifice.

The Copernicus' House

The Copernicus' House

Copernicus' House is a medieval burgher's house which belonged to the Copernicus family in the second half of the 15th century. Many historians point to the house as a birthplace (1473) of the renowned astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus, who was the first to prove that the Earth was not a static center of the universe but merely one of the planets circling the Sun along their orbits.

The Leaning Tower

The Leaning Tower

The Leaning Tower is a medieval defensive Tower which owes its name to its considerable tilt. A legend has it that the creation of the tower was connected with an offence of one of the Teutonic Knights from Toruń who, against the monastic rule, fell in love and dated a beautiful daughter of a wealthy merchant.

SS. Johns' Cathedral

SS. Johns' Cathedral

The Gothic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist received its present-day shape as a result of the multi-stage construction which was interrupted at the turn of the 16th century, after 200 years of works. In the Middle Ages it was the most important church in Toruń as it had the function of the Old Town parish church congregating worshippers from the entire town.

Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was erected in the second half of the 14th century by Franciscan friars, who arrived in Toruń just a few years after the city was founded in 1239. The well-preserved monumental Gothic edifice is the third, possibly the fourth, church built on this site.

St. Jame's Church

St. Jame's Church

St. James's church was erected in the first half of the 14th century as a parish church for the residents of the New Town of Toruń founded in 1264. Owing to its unique architectural design, it is considered as the most beautiful Gothic sacral building in Toruń. The church was built based on the designs of the western-European stone cathedrals – the weight of the vaults over the nave was transferred onto the flying buttresses.

The Bridge Gate

The Bridge Gate

The well- preserved Bridge Gate was built in 1432 on the site of an earlier structure which had served the same purpose. Initially, it was called the Crossing Gate or Ferry Gate as it stood on the route which led to the Vistula ferry crossing point.

The Convent Gate

The Convent Gate

The Convent Gate, also called the Holy Spirit Gate, was erected in the 14th century as one of four gates leading into Toruń from the Vistula River port. Despite slight modifications, the gate has been preserved in its original form of a gothic gate tower with three ogival recesses.

The Sailors' Gate

The Sailors' Gate

The Sailors' Gate was built in the Middle Ages but its present appearance is a result of a major 19th-century reconstruction. Straddling the street that led to the port quay and St. Johns' parish church and the Old Town market square, the gate was the most important entrance to the city.